The former top fundraiser for imprisoned former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich has been released from prison and transferred to a halfway house.
Antoin `Tony' Rezko was convicted in 2008 of fraud, money laundering and plotting to squeeze more than $7 million from companies seeking to do state business during Blagojevich's tenure. Rezko was sentenced to 10 1/2 years in prison. He was also serving time for fraud over the bogus sale of his pizza restaurants.
U.S. Bureau of Prisons Ed Ross says Blagojevich was furloughed Tuesday from the Federal Correctional Center in Pekin to a Chicago-area halfway house.
Rezko attorney Joe Duffy told the Chicago Tribune the Bureau of Prisons concluded Rezko had been a model prisoner and released him "so he can start transitioning back into society.''
The 60-year-old Rezko is scheduled to leave federal custody in May 2016.