The Illinois Department of Transportation is investing nearly $258 millions on projects along Interstate 57 in southern Illinois.
$224 million is coming from the 2019 Rebuild Illinois capital program.
Five of the six I-57 expansion segments are ongoing or upcoming, with one already completed.
• Milepost 63 to milepost 66 with new structures over Pond Creek, scheduled for completion in the fall of 2022.
• Milepost 67 to milepost 75 with new structures over Big Muddy River, scheduled to start in 2022.
• Milepost 75 to milepost 85 with new structures over Marcum Branch and Gun Creek, scheduled to start in 2024.
• Milepost 85 to milepost 92 with new structures over Dodds Creek, scheduled to start in 2023.
• Milepost 58.6 to milepost 63 widening to three lanes in each direction was completed in fall 2020.
• The reconstruction of the I-57/64/Illinois 15 interchange is scheduled to start in 2025.
In addition, later this year IDOT is embarking on a major renovation of the Trail of Tears rest areas on I-57 in Union County, which includes greatly expanding and enhancing truck parking.