SIU’s Craft shop offers wide array of arts and crafts workshops, special events this fall
CARBONDALE, Ill. — You can make clay beads, pottery, jewelry, stained glass, comic books or create a plethora of other projects during the fall workshops offered by Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Craft Shop.
The shop, located on the lower level of the Student Center, is hosting a wide variety of workshops to appeal to all ages and interests. Class sizes are limited for many, and registration is on a first come, first served basis, so organizers encourage early signup at studentcenter.siu.edu/activities/craft-shop/workshops.php. All workshop registrations will close one week before the workshop begins or when all available slots fill. The Craft Shop reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any workshop if necessary.
The Craft Shop also offers walk-in activities and will be hosting special poster and arts and crafts sales this semester. The Craft Shop’s hours of operation for the fall semester are noon to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and noon to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. It’s closed on Sunday.
Poster and craft sales planned
The Craft Shop is sponsoring three big events this fall.
A College Poster Sale is set for 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 12-13 in the first floor Art Gallery at the Student Center. Add a bit of color or personality to your walls by purchasing posters, art prints and more. Everyone is welcome to attend.
The big annual Family Weekend Craft Sale is set for 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24, in the first floor Art Gallery at the Student Center. The sale will feature a unique selection of locally made art and crafts including clay pottery, prints, jewelry, Saluki items, woodworking and so much more.
Looking ahead, the 45th annual Holiday Art and Craft Sale is set for 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 1-3 in the same location. This popular event is an even bigger sale than the September event as people and vendors come from far and wide to attend. Typically, at least 80 artisans and craftspeople offer their handiwork for sale as visitors seek gifts for family, friends or themselves.
Vendor applications welcomed
Applications are now being accepted for the Family Weekend Craft Sale as well as the other two 2022-2023 craft sales the Craft Shop hosts: the Holiday Craft Sale and the Valentine’s Craft Sale, set for Feb. 14, 2023.
Visit the Craft Sale webpage for more details and vendor applications for each sale. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Craft Shop during regular operating hours to submit an application or for more information.
Fall workshop overview
The schedule of Craft Shop workshops for fall 2022 includes:
- Wood Shop Safety Course – 1-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10. Free. Walk-ins are welcome but online registration is appreciated.
- Date Night #1: Wheel Thrown Pottery– 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 9, $20 for students, $25 for others, materials are included.
- Intro to Wheel Throwing, a four-week clay class, $75 for students, $85 for others. Clay is extra: $14 for 10 pounds for students or $16 for others.
- Intro to Stained Glass: Copper Foil – 5-7 p.m. Sept. 8, 15, 22, 29, $100 for students, $120 for others; materials are extra.
- Drawing: Comic Strip – 12:30-4 p.m. Sept. 10, $20 for students, $24 for others, materials are included.
- Intro to Sewing: Tote Bag – 12:30-4 p.m. Sept. 17, $20 for students, $25 for others, materials are extra.
- Outdoor Watercolors (Plein Air) – 1-4 p.m. Sept. 17, $20 for students, $24 for others, materials are included.
- Colorful Polymer Clay Beads – 5:30-8 p.m. Sept. 30, $16 for students, $18 for others, clay is extra.
- Printmaking with Linoleum Blocks – 12:30-4 p.m. Oct. 1, $30 for students, $35 for others, materials are included.
- Outdoor Acrylic Painting – 1-4 p.m. Oct. 1, $22 for students, $26 for others, materials are included.
- Slab Built Coffee Mugs – 1-4 p.m. Oct. 8, $25 for students, $30 for others, materials are included.
- Silver Ring – 1-4 p.m. Oct. 8, $35 for students, $40 for others, materials for one ring included.
- Hand built Clay: Cups, Bowls & Plates (4 weeks) – 6-8:30 p.m. Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, $75 for students, $85 for others, clay is extra and the cost is $14 for 10 pounds.
- Saluki Print & Tie Dye – 12:30-4:30 p.m. Oct.14 and 15, $20 for students, $24 for others, materials are included.
- Clay Pumpkins – 6-8:30 p.m. Oct. 18, $20 for students, $25 for others, materials are included.
- Date Night #2: Wheel Thrown Pottery– 5:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 21, $20 for students, $25 for others, materials are included.
- Paint a Pet Portrait – 1-4 p.m. Oct. 22, $30 for students, $35 for others, materials are included.
- Intro to Woodworking – 12:30-3:30 p.m. Oct. 22, 29, November 5, $60 for students, $65 for others, materials are extra.
- Advanced Stained Glass: Lead Came – 5-7 p.m. Oct. 25, 27, Nov. 1, 3, $100 for students, $120 for others, materials are extra and supplies can be purchased at the Craft Shop.
- Intro to Metalsmithing– 2-4:30 p.m. Oct. 29, Nov. 5, $40 for students, $45 for others, materials are extra.
- Glass Bead Making – 5:30-8 p.m. Nov. 1, $30 for students, $34 for others, glass can be purchased separately.
- Clay Ornaments – 1-3:30 p.m. Nov. 5, $24 for students, $28 for others, materials are included.
- Fused Glass Snowflakes– 1-3:30 p.m. Nov. 12, $22 for students, $26 for others, materials are extra.
- Marbling on Silk & Paper – 6-8 p.m. Nov. 15, $45 for students, $48 for others, materials are included.
- Metalsmithing: Colorful Enamel Jewelry – 6-8 p.m. Nov. 29 and Dec. 6, $65 for students, $70 for others, materials are included.
- Sewing: Holiday Stockings – 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dec. 13, $20 for students, $24 for others, materials are extra.
In addition, the Craft Shop offers other opportunities including:
- Private lessons.
- Virtual craft workshops.
- Options to hold birthday parties or other small group gatherings.