People on WSIU Radio
WSIU, Giant City School To Host Reading Event
Fri May 11, 2012
WSIU, Giant City School to Host "Martha Speaks Reading Buddies" Celebration
Media Advisory - For Tuesday, May 15 - 8:30-10am
Contact: Beth Spezia, WSIU Outreach Coordinator, (618) 453-5595, email@example.com
WSIU, Giant City School To Host “Martha Speaks Reading Buddies" Celebration
Carbondale, Ill. - Reporters, photographers, and camera crews are invited to cover a special literacy event to be held Tuesday, May 15 from 8:30-10am at Giant City School, located at 1062 Boskydell Road in Carbondale. The celebration marks the conclusion of the school's participation in the “Martha Speaks Reading Buddies Program,” a semester-long, scientifically-based literacy research program designed to strengthen vocabulary and social skills, and to instill a love of reading in young children.
Based on the PBS KIDS series of the same name, the Martha Speaks Reading Buddies Program pairs kindergarten students (little buddies) with third- and fourth-grade readers (big buddies) to watch PBS KIDS videos, share books and journals, and participate in word games and other reading-based activities.
WSIU, Giant City School, the Humane Society of Southern Illinois, and the Southern Illinois Collegiate Common Market (SICCM) Veterinary Technology Program are conducting animal care presentations and reading demonstrations at the May 15event. Students will present a PBS KIDS Raising Readers Theaterperformance of “Perfectly Martha.”
Students will be recognized for their participation in the Martha Speaks Reading Buddies Program. The children also will bring donations for the Humane Society of Southern Illinois.
Costume character Martha the Dog of the popular PBS KIDS television series Martha Speaks also will make a special appearance. Martha Speaksairs on WSIU-TV 8 and WUSI-TV 16, the public television stations of SIU Carbondale, on weekdays at 6:30am and 2:30pm and on Saturdays at 8:30am.
* "Perfectly Martha" Raising Readers Theater Performance
* Animal safety discussion and demonstration by the Humane Society of Southern Illinois
* Animal care exercises led by veterinary tech students
* Visit from special guest Martha the Dog from the PBS KIDS program Martha Speaks (costume character)
* Presentations by the students about their new vocabulary skills
* Presentation of certificates of completion to Reading Buddies participants
* Teacher Kristi Britton (618) 457-5391
* Mrs. Sharon Mayes, Superintendent, Giant City School District, (618) 457-5391
* Board of Directors representative, Humane Society of Southern Illinois, (618) 457-2362
* Student representatives, SICCM Veterinary Technology Program, (618) 942-6902
* Beth Spezia, Educational Outreach Coordinator, WSIU Public Broadcasting, (618) 453-5595
# # #