Union Co. Schools Receive Federal School Safety Funds

Oct 2, 2018

Eight schools in Union County are receiving federal grant funds to improve school safety.

The 357-thousand dollars are awarded through the School Violence Prevention Program in the Department of Justice.

The program was created through legislation sponsored by southern Illinois Congressman Mike Bost called the Securing Our Schools Act.

In a previous interview on the topic, the Murphysboro republican said the funds will help schools provide a more immediate method of notifying law enforcement and first responders in case of an emergency.

"It is a system being installed in the schools, in every classroom, that is basically a panic button, that instantly, they can get response."
 
Each grant awarded under the program is supposed to cover 75% of equipment purchase and installation costs. School districts are to provide the remaining 25% in matching funds.