People on WSIU Radio
Most Active Stories
- Happy Birthday To Amazon, And Its Data Mining
- New SIU Carbondale Chancellor Tackles Research Funding Concerns
- Business, Labor, and Energy Groups Urge State to Move on Fracking Rules
- SIH to Provide General Surgery Residency for SIU Students
- Judge Rules in State's Favor in Murray Developmental Center Suit
Thu April 23, 2009
Senate Confirms Duckworth's Federal Nomination
Washington, D.C. – The U.S. Senate has confirmed former Iraq War helicopter pilot Tammy Duckworth's nomination as an Assistant Secretary at the Veterans Affairs Department.
Duckworth will direct the Office of Public Affairs and Intergovernmental Communications. Among other things, the Illinois National Guard major will oversee programs for homeless veterans.
Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin's office announced the confirmation on Wednesday.
President Barack Obama nominated Duckworth on February 3.
Duckworth lost both her legs in a grenade attack in 2004. She was appointed director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs in 2006 after a failed run for Congress.