Poisonous Gas Kills Jackson Co. Man in His Home

Jan 24, 2018

A Jackson County man is dead after succumbing to a poisonous gas in his home.

The Jackson County Sheriff's Department says a Grand Tower couple tried to clear a clogged drain Tuesday afternoon by mixing a commercial drain cleaner with bleach, a mixture that created a poisonous gas.

Deputies say 68-year-old Alvin Heggie was unable to get out of the residence and died at the scene.

They say 67-year-old Eileen Hudgins called 911 and got out of the residence after a dispatcher told her about the deadly situation. She was taken to a local hospital and then flown to a St. Louis area hospital, where she is listed in stable condition.