The Anchorage Petroleum Wives Club has been around longer than Alaska has been a state. The club was founded in 1957 after the first big oil discovery in Alaska.
Its purpose was to welcome the wives of oil workers flooding into the state. But a lot has changed since the club’s inception, so the members decided to change the name. Elizabeth Harball (@ElizHarball) of Here & Now contributor Alaska’s Energy Desk reports.